Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Attack of the killer turkeys ..

Holy cow! One of my homesteading books has this to say on the raising turkeys section .. "Don't . " . Now I remember why. Got mine as 3 day old things, now they are three months and getting increasingly aggressive. This morning trying to do food and water I stood up to fill the water container and they were LEAPING from the floor up at me, one got hold of my finger and took a good grab, dangling by her beak around my finger for a moment. (ow, ow).

I have one large room in the barn with the birds in a section and then the rabbits in cages against the wall. Trying to adjust the food server in the bunny cage and suddenly had one Turkey on my shoulder and one sitting on my head .. and they promptly started pecking at my ears / eyes / sunglasses atop my head. .. GEEEETTTTTTTT OOOOOOFFFFfFFFFfffff!

Cripe. These things know no fear and are aggressive. New routines and housing opportunities coming soon I do believe. Quinn is furious with me as I have now banned him from the small animal area until I solve the problem .. I foresee big trouble (or an earlier-than-expected Thanksgiving) on the horizon without adjustments.

Julie

Independent Shaklee Dealer

No comments: